PROBONO - Ronald McDonald House Stanford | 520 Sand Hill Rd, Palo Alto, CA
In early 2015 Penelope Jones Design joined with other members of the local Bay Area Design community to provide the fit out and furnishings for the new Ronald McDonald House being built at Stanford, in Palo Alto, California. When the expansion is complete in December of 2015, it will provide invaluable shelter, support and community to the families of critically ill children being treated at the Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital on the Stanford campus.
The new 52,000 sq ft home will be the largest RMH in the world and its more than needed: In 2014, more than 4,000 families were turned away because the current House was operating at capacity. Every night there are between 40-50 families on the waiting list. The children, who come from all over California, the United States, and around the world, arrive at Ronald McDonald House at Stanford with serious medical conditions. Many are treated for cancer; some are waiting for organ transplants. With their families, these young patients can stay for weeks – even months – at the House.
"Our room is #210, is one of the larger guest rooms and will provide a welcoming place to stay for a family of up to 5. It is very important to me that the room is calming, and a restful & hopeful retreat. I also wanted it to have a definitive Bay Area/California feel. To achieve this I'm using soft, warm & natural colors such as, sun bleached grey's & beiges, weathered woods & tying it together with foggy ocean blues & soft coral. By unobtrusively layering textures we'll create a pared back but quietly embracing decor. It will be a space to feel loved and be hopeful in". - Penelope
Since opening in 1979, the House has provided lodging to nearly 400,000 families – but they offer so much more than simply a room with a shower and a bed. Over the years, programs at the House have grown exponentially to provide a comprehensive mix of creative, participatory services to actively engage all family members, create a community of support, and ease everyday burdens so they can focus on what matters most – the health and well-being of their children. Due to a marked increase in the average stay over the last 10 years, from six days to 34, and the expansion underway at Lucile Packard’s Children’s Hospital Stanford, demand for services has never been greater.
"Last year we broke ground on a 52,000 square-foot expansion and renovation project to increase the number of family bedrooms from 47 to at 125 in order to meet this growing demand. When the expansion is complete in early 2016, the House will have the capacity to provide hope, comfort, and care for even more families facing medical crises. As we grow, we must ensure that “big” doesn’t translate into impersonal or institutional. We understand that interior design is the key to making our House a home, and we are thrilled to partner with the San Francisco Design Center and our wonderful local design community to ensure that Hope Has a Home for every family who needs it. We thank you for your support of this important project." Annette Eros - Chief Executive Officer, Ronald McDonald House at Stanford
I'd personally like to thank the following companies for their support, this is an amazing project to be a part of and I couldn't do it without your help. - Penelope
- Steve Webb - Webb Construction, labor & materials for the installation. www.webbbuilders.net
- MacFee Designs - generously providing the custom designed and built headboards. www.macfeedesign.com
- Artistic Tile & Stone - providing the porcelain tiles for the bathroom walls. Artistic Tile & Stone
- Kathryn Ireland Design - donating custom throw pillows (fabric & fabrication) for the day bed. www.kathrynireland.com
- Stark Carpet - 100% of the materials for the custom rug. www.starkcarpet.com
- Sister Parish Design - donated the fabric for the throw pillows for the beds. www.sisterparishdesign.com
- International Upholstery - 50% off fabrication of daybed french mattress. www.internationalupholstery.com
- Romo Fabrics - 40% discount for the wallpaper & curtain fabric. www.romo.com
- Bernhardt San Francisco - additional 20% off for dresser & side table. www.bernhardt.com
- Jacks Prime - Burgers & Shakes - providing location for fundraiser. www.jacksprime.com
If you would like to be a part of the our team and help sponsor room 210 please do so here - your support is needed & greatly appreciated.
Ronald McDonald House at Stanford is a 501(c)3 charitable organization (tax ID# 94-2538615). All donations to Ronald McDonald House are tax-deductible.